Sunday, April 19, 2009

Oaxaca/Asadero, Week 16

Plans with Cassie didn't work out this week, but when we do get around to making use of the Gubbeen, we can provide the back story of foreign cheese shopping and trying to guess what will survive the flight across the pond.

This week, a friend reminded me of the HowChow blog and tipped me off to Lilly's Mexican Market.  Once I figured out where it was and read the review that included homemade corn tortillas, Lilly's was my go-to spot.  Of course, cheese was on my mind when I was parking there, but the bakery case definitely caught my attention when I first stepped into the store.  The dozens of fresh rolls and pastries made on location made me wonder how I'd managed to do without Lilly's!  There's a butcher shop and take out tacos, too, but this week the blog went for simple: Flaming Cheese (Queso Flameado).  Side note- how awesome of a dish does it sound already?

Unfortunately, I only realized I was taking photos directly onto my camera's internal memory when I was just about to put the cheese in the oven.  So, the standard wrapper photos will have to wait until another time. (That is, when I walk all the way over to the drawer I keep the cable in.)

Oaxaca/Asadero
Price: $9.32/lb
Smell: Like string cheese but less processed.

Step One: Rip 12 ounces of Oaxaca into a few large hunks. (Note: This cheese is called Oaxaca when it's shaped like a ball, and Asadero when shaped like a brick. I got the ball of Oaxaca because it was at eye-level.) Add about 4 tablespoons of chopped chorizo (sausage)  or more if you'd like. 


Step Two: Watch and wait. Don't wait too long or it will just be Burnt Cheese. Nobody wants to eat that.  


Step Three: Quick! Spoon (or fork) into tortillas or chips for a quick dip!  I served the Flaming Cheese (while much more authentic when actually flaming, warm cheese is still delicious) with green corn tamales (beyond amazing corn goodness steamed in the microwave), some black beans and onions, Lilly's bread rolls, and some fruit juice drinks that looked fun.  

Step Four: Don't forget dessert! For a taste of fried ice cream without the hours of prep and challenge of actually frying dairy...I just put honey and cinnamon sugar on top of vanilla custard.

Verdict: Oaxaca cheese was way better than normal string cheese on its own, but tasted just amazing when melted.  It was sweet and creamy. The oil from the chorizo probably helped its consistency smooth out, too.  I will definitely be craving this dish in the future, and I can't wait to go back to Lilly's for just-made tortillas and bread!  

End tally: Midnight Moon > Lamb Chopper > Manchego > Paneer > Comte > Irish Cheddar > Vermont Cheddar > Emmentaler > Bucheron > Delice d'Argental > Brie > Oaxaca/Asadero > Red Square > Port Salut > Stilton > Pecorino Romano > Monterey Jack

3 comments:

  1. Hommeade queso! Sounds amazing... that faux fried ice cream also sounds amazing.

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm you now have me craving tacos xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just think of all the good cheese to be had down in San Antonio in May... or should I say Queso 7=^ )

    Don't forget to give a shout-out to our orange and peach drinks... yummm

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Leave me a message. It will make me smile, unless you are mean or a spammer.

Thanks,
Kate