Sunday, April 26, 2009

Appreciation for Cheese, Week 17

This past month has been a busy one for me, and I've not been able to keep up with the blog as I would have liked.  I think things should be calming down soon, and I am enthusiastic about continuing to try more cheeses!  Some people have asked about last week's cheese-- if I liked it so much, why was it rated so low?  The simple answer is this: I have been eating really, really good cheese this year.  There are just a couple of cheeses I probably wouldn't get again.  For example, my last ranked cheese, Monterey Jack, can be a great cheese on its own.  In comparison to the other cheeses I've had, it was just a little on the boring side.  Perhaps another brand would have changed my mind.  I certainly hope I'm not offending too many Monterey Jack aficionados out there.  :)

This week I had a craving for plain old grilled cheese with my pre-blog favorite, Muenster.  After buttering my sunflower bread, placing some pre-sliced Muenster inside, and grilling, I just knew it would be delicious.  I was shocked!  Something just didn't taste...right.  Had I become a cheese snob? Would I never be able to eat deli cheese without remembering my delights with Comte and the Lamb Chopper?  Thinking my grilled cheese could have been subpar because of 'butter' spread, I tried Muenster plain...but to no avail!  Come back favorite cheese, come back!

While I didn't try a new cheese this week and I still have Irish cheese in the fridge, I increased my appreciation for cheese.  

I'm off to do more work and have a Muenster grilled cheese for dinner.

Have a great week, readers! 

3 comments:

  1. ah this is an issue!! perhaps you will be able to regain the previous deliciousness of the commoner cheeses in time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a muenster sandwich for lunch! It was delicious, but I'm not used to fancy cheese, haha :)

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate, great blog! I see you have a lot of Trader Joe's cheese on your site. I too buy my cheese from Trader Joe's. I just bought a nice Roquefort for a walnut, apple, and walnut salad. Are you in Howard County? I'm right in Ellicott City.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Leave me a message. It will make me smile, unless you are mean or a spammer.

Thanks,
Kate