Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter

Happy Easter, all!

It seems I will take another week off from the cheese blog. This week has been rather busy and I'm a bit drained.  Next week, however promises to be exciting.  My friend Cassie recently returned from Ireland and brought me a wheel of Oak Smoked Gubbeen cheese!  I don't know quite how we're going to use it, but it'd be nice to do something special with it.  Here's the description from the Gubbeen Farmhouse web site-- if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Gubbeen Cheese has been produced since 1979 by Giana Ferguson, with Rosie and the Gubbeen dairy team. It has been enjoyed across Ireland, Europe and America, and has won some of the key cheese awards both in Ireland and England. Gubbeen Cheese is a surface ripened, semi-soft cheese with a delicate pink and white rind that is developed in our curing rooms by daily washing and a lot of skilled care. The flavours are creamy with lots of mushroom and nutty aftertastes. We also produce a Smoked Gubbeen-smoked by Fingal at the Gubbeen Smoke House where he adds his skills to the cheeses' flavour by the addition of oak smoke.

1 comment:

  1. i went to whole foods this weekend and had two awesome cheeses, Halloumi and Minnimere (winnimere?)

    can't wait to see what you do with the smoked Gubbeen!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Leave me a message. It will make me smile, unless you are mean or a spammer.

Thanks,
Kate